Saturday, November 04, 2006

Why do I photograph? At a formative time in my life I became connected to photography. I was drawn to it and practiced it for many years and became by association 'a photographer' within a small and limited community made up of my family, my high school and my friends. I embraced this identity because it was so much better then any other label that I was associated with at the time like shy, awkward, etc. etc. etc. Why I didn't become a photographer is so much water under the bridge now that to dwell on it is to tap in to unpleasant feelings of regret, and self-contempt so I try not to go there. When I quit practicing photography in 1977 I had accomplished little, a box of photos, unprinted negatives, rolls of undeveloped film, in other words not much to put on a resume or to fill a portfolio. I could never let go of my camera though and in the years that followed I had sporadic bursts of creative energy that as time went on became further and further apart. As I approached 50 I had a desire to finish what I started and bring it to some conclusion that I could live with. I wanted to put together a portfolio of work that demonstrated to myself and to anyone who cared to look that I am a photographer. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Trailhead said...

I've long been interested in this question. This is a common thread I see in many of the answers to it:

At a formative time in my life I became connected to photography.

It's certainly been true for me. Is the photography a natural result of the growth that was going on, or did that growth make me more open to the photography? For me, I think it was both.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really appreciate you made a comment after visiting my site. Thank you.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics