Monday, December 20, 2010

A few months ago the company I work for held a photo contest for some wall art. staff could submit work and everyone in the organization voted for their favorites without knowing who took the pictures.  This wasn't the first time this had been done.  Conference rooms were named for different states and contests were held for photographs that were taken within that state.  I submitted some Oregon pictures for "The Oregon Room", including this one and the work was rejected.  I was a little ticked at the time though a staff person liked the picture so much she bought a copy of it.  This time the theme was our city of Portland and I submitted this work again along with 3 or 4 other pictures.  I wasn't planning on putting anything up but some people insisted that I do it so I did to shut them up.  I submitted 4 or 5 pictures and when the work was put up for display and vote it was a pretty sad lot and I regretted putting anything in to it.  Still only this picture was selected.  I don't blame people for not having any taste I just blame digital photography for so compromising the process that photography as an art form performed by photographers no longer exists.  Cameras now take the pictures not photographers and it is pointless to try and demonstrate it otherwise by submitting real photographs.  No one knows what a real photograph is anymore.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorita OLeary said...

Ha ha, but I really like this picture and all the textures and then that soft cloud.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad... I used to work at a stock photography company and they had a photo contest among employees. Among all the professional photographers and retouchers and visual artists, a dopey computer programmer submitted a snapshot that won the contest.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics