Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Scan of first print heavily cropped made in 1971.


New print from the old negative uncropped.

I worked in the darkroom yesterday.  Channeling the Annie Dillard quote about artists needing rooms with no views where imagination can meet memory in the dark.     Using my old negatives with my new skills developed in my not so new anymore darkroom that I have been working in for the last 7 years.  I took the above picture on January 2, 1971 while walking through the South Park Blocks on a gloomy Portland day. 
Portland probably wasn't near as gloomy as I was when I took that picture over 40 years ago.  1970 was a closed chapter in my life and 1971 had just started.  I would be finishing High School and going on to College.  It was the first winter of my discontent but I was still dreaming of  the previous summer.  Remembering too brief a time when I was not so alone and the air was bright, warm and fragrant not dark, cold and musty. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics