Friday, October 26, 2007

Favorite Horror Films. This has got to be the most ambitious poster for the 1956 film. I only wish I could find a more detailed jpg file on the internet. I prefer the Philip Kauffman 1978 remake which so impressed me the first time I saw it I sat through a really bad Japanese ripoff of Star Wars just so I could watch it again. It is probably quibbling but I believe that Jack Finneys short novel 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' came after Philip K. Dicks short story 'The Father Thing' which just so happens to be about a boy who suspects his dad is no longer his dad and finds a discarded husk of his poor Dads body at the bottom of a barrel in the garage. It is also interesting that the phenomenon of people thinking that someone they know is no longer the person they know is an actual mental condition called Capgras Syndrome. Both the 1956 and 1978 adaptations of the story are great films each molded in to the time period they come out of. The 1956 version suggesting the Red Menace mentality of America in the 1950's and the 1978 version making fun of the pop psychology human potential movement of the 1970's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics