Sunday, October 14, 2007



My Grandparents; Jaroslav Cernovsky and Pavla Hermankova. I have three pictures of my Grandparents together two formal portraits taken on their wedding day and this one. They were both from Bohemia. They came to America alone when they were only teenagers. I don't know what my Grandfather did, but my Grandmother was a servant for a wealthy family of German Jews in Chicago. They were married in Chicago in 1916. They moved west and settled in the Willamette Valley in Clackamas County. They had 4 children one died of Scarlet Fever (strep). My Grandfather supported his family working as a cabinet maker in Sellwood. The desk my computer sits on is a solid oak mission style table he built himself. At some point in the 1920's my Grandfather began to express strange paranoid delusions and came to the attention of Clackamas County Sheriff named E.T. Mass who brought him before a judge in 1927 for a commitment hearing. The commitment took less then an hour and consisted of his examination by a medical doctor who concluded he was a Manic Depressive type and he was sent to the Salem Mental Hospital for observation. There it was determined that he suffered from Dementia Praecox. After two years there he was declared insane and dangerous and sent to the Eastern Oregon Mental Hospital where he was kept until 1954 when he was paroled. He lived for awhile with his son but never spoke to my grandmother again. Eventually he found work as a gardener for a wealthy Lake Oswego Doctor and died two years later in 1956. As far as I can tell from the official record he never committed a crime yet spent much more time incarcerated then a murderer who was caught by Sheriff E.T. Mass the same year. http://gesswhoto.com/sheriff-clackamas2.html.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, This has answered so many questions for me.
My cannot answer them and would not tell me of this/
I feel so sorry for our parents,Grandma and Grandpa Who I never knew.

Charlie Paakkari

8:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is a lot that we don't know but I have learned a lot in my research. Contact me if you want to know more.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics