Sunday, December 23, 2007

Crechians. I am not a religious or even spiritual person but in a box of old Christmas ornaments that had been in my wife's home when she was growing up there was this charming little set of figures that I like and put up on our mantel this time of year even if by definition I am probably what you might call a secular atheist. I was listening to a story on NPR this morning about a group of atheists who were trying to create an alternative set of symbols for a non-christian Christmas for their atheist ministry (these people really needed a good swift kick in the ass). If you consider that the symbols of Christmas and Christian religion are an amalgam of several religious traditions predating Christianity I see no problem with adopting Christian symbolism as my way of celebrating the holiday which for me is more of an aesthetic rather then spiritual experience.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics