Sunday, May 11, 2008



Don't ever change. I made some prints last week of two pictures I took in 1972 with my Nikon f and the standard 50 lens. I thought it might be interesting to take the same camera to the same place and try to take the same picture. It was a bit more difficult then I imagined. I brought along a copy of the print so I could try and take the same composition. In the darkroom I laid down the print of the picture from 1972 on the easel and then projected the negative from 2008 over the print to help match up the composition. In this picture the sign above Marys Club was exactly the same which made it much easier. The lamp post looks the same but it either moved a bit or was replaced because it is slightly smaller. All of the buildings are still there but the trees obscure them now. The Marquee has a different message showing what was appropriate in 1972 was more conservative then today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Pictures (photographs, ahem) like this are my motivation to take better ones. A collection of these should be a book.

The trees are great. You can see how the pavement has risen up the curb.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually there is a book of photographs of Portland, Then and Now where various photographs in the collection of the Oregon Historical Society were revisited and rephotographed showing all of the changes. When I took these pictures in 1972 I was working on a photo essay as part of a photo-journalism class I was taking at PSU. My idea was to create a series of photos illustrating the transition from Day to Night, 24 hours in Portland. At the time the idea of the "then and now" theme came to me but I didn't have the time or resources to pull it off. Now 36 years later I still have the negatives and the same camera and I work downtown so I can revisit these areas and try to pull off my own version of a 'then and now' series. It's great to have the internet and a blog to publish your work in isn't it?

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics