Friday, August 31, 2007




What happened to the Summer and some thoughts on Brideshead Revisited wherein this writer waxes nostalgic. Remember you were warned.

When I begin to experience with all my senses the shift from one season to another I want to apply the brakes and just try and slow down time a bit. I'm going to take some time off before the boys begin school and try to grab a little unstructured time. Take a quiet contemplative walk and playback some moments I want to savor just a little more . I have always loved the last quarter of the year. Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons when the transition of time seems more dramatic. One a comedy and one a tragedy. One a beginning and one an ending. One is all expectation of what might be and one is regret and longing for what never was. I am sitting here paging through a book of mine from my collection of books sacred to me. A lovely old copy of Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh given to me 25 years ago on my birthday by a dear friend who was moving out of Portland and had come to visit me one last time. It was the last weekend in August and that summer three of my closest friends had departed and I was going to miss them all very much. August that year had been one of good byes to people and to a time that had been precious to me. It had been a Summer to take time for one last drink, one last dinner, one last picnic at Sauvies Island. The realization that moments I never wanted to end were about to. Evelyn Waughs Brideshead Revisited had been adapted for Television the previous Spring and many of us were caught up in the show. Getting together for dinner and the latest installment, reading the book. It is a story that begins with the central character revisiting a place where precious time was spent. A favorite sentiment of mine is expressed by one of the characters who remarks, "Just the place to bury a pot of gold...I should like to bury something precious in every place where I've been happy and then, when I was old and ugly and miserable, I could come back and dig it up and remember."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics