Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lone Fir Last Fall. I don't care as much for shooting color film as I do black and white. The process of taking a picture, having to rely on a lab to have the film developed and printed leaves me detached from the photographic process. I do get to manipulate the image digitally since I have a cd made but digital photography leaves me cold. I feel no visceral connection to the image the way I do when I shoot a roll of black and white film that I can work with in my darkroom. I feel more like I own my black and white images and the color work belongs to the camera. I just don't get the appeal of the digital darkroom of photoshop. Speaking of real darkroom work the Darkroom Master class at Newspace appears to be happening though it was postponed from Saturday to Sunday. I was told to bring some fiber paper and a negative to work with. I've said before that I don't care for the communal darkroom at Newspace. It's a good place to learn the craft but not practice it. Too many distractions, the second floor darkroom shakes everytime someone moves and they have these complicated digital timers that I just can't get the hang of. I am still looking forward though to the class for the opportunity to learn something new and the community of other darkroom types even if I prefer to work alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics