Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Can you imagine us years from today sharing a park bench quietly?" 
sang Simon and Garfunkel  from Old Friends/Bookends.

A few days ago I met with a friend from my youth for a long and leisurely lunch. We first met over 40 years ago at that cusp between childhood and adulthood.  We hadn't seen each other in too long a time and it took just a moment for us to recognize one another in our adult selves.  It was a poignant reunion in the truest sense of the term which made me think of the Simon and Garfunkel song.

"A time it was
It was a time
A time of innocence
A time of confidences
Long ago it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you."

and another by another poet.

"If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?--
With silence and tears."
Lord Byron.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorita OLeary said...

That's a cool thought. I remember when we reconnected and that was very energizing for me.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics