Wednesday, March 26, 2008





On being framed, hung, and sold.



After submitting my entries to the juried exhibit yesterday I began to think that perhaps it would be better to have the pictures properly mounted and matted by professionals rather then risk damaging the prints by doing it myself. Of course to do this I'd need to give the frame shop time to do the work and that would mean having the work started before I even knew if my pictures would be selected or not. The deadline for submitting work is tomorrow and two weeks after that the pictures selected will be announced and two weeks after that the pictures need to be submitted to the gallery and the show opens a week after that on May 2nd. When I submitted the pictures for consideration I had to declare a sale price since all work submitted had to be offered for sale. The gallery would take 40% . Trying to price something that has no real value I figured that I would price my pictures based on what costs I would incur to present the picture. Since I make the prints myself the cost of photographic paper, chemicals would only be a few dollars and my time has no real value since I'd be making the prints whether I could sell them or not because I enjoy working in the darkroom. The only additional cost would be the price of a standard wood frame which for an 8x10 print would be about 20.00. So I priced my pictures so I would with the gallery commission make 25.00 to cover my costs and submitted my entries. Then I decided to seek professional help. I went to a neighborhood place and the young woman there was very nice and helpful. She was a photographer herself and she praised my work and she even gave me an artists discount. I'm an idiot. If, and its a big IF, any of my pictures are selected I will have to price them for about three times what I orginally would have sold them for to recover my costs. At my orginal price I could just see someone buying the picture just for a good deal on a frame. Can't have that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics