Thursday, July 10, 2008









Any journey begins with the first step.



It's been 4 years now since I began the process of converting this moldy, dusty little corner of our basement in to my darkroom so that I could begin again practicing photography. I worked on it on weekends and in the evening after work. I had no idea what I was doing and it took me a month to build. To keep me inspired my guide was Ansel Adams in the form of his Basic Photo Series 1-5; (1)Camera and Lens, (2)The Negative, (3)The Print, (4)Natural Light Photography and (5)Artificial Light Photography. First published in the 1940's and still in print I cannot think of a better place to start ones photographic education. I highly recommend anyone who is considering the pursuit of photography (real or virtual) as an art form to start with reading at least the first in the series, Camera and Lens. One should own this book before one owns a camera. I only wish someone had introduced them to me 40 years ago when I first began. I am not one of those who feel they should cross themselves every time they invoke his name but few artists were as generous in sharing what they learned. Here were some of my first prints made from some of my first developed film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics