Sunday, March 13, 2011

Three different prints from the same negative printed at different times with different enlarger heads.  Top image done this weekend using my Zone VI enlarger, the middle one done in 2006 using the Omega D-2 condenser head using contrast filters and probably selenium toning to soften the darker areas. The bottom one done with the Omega D-2 with the  V-54 cold light bulb using a 1-1/2 filter.  I feel like the bottom picture has the mid range covered but the blacks need to be "blacker".  The middle one is all washed out in the highlights and too dark in the shadows.  I don't like any of them.  Shooting in to the sun, even though it wasn't high in the sky yet was a big mistake. If I had taken the photograph earlier before the sun had made the sky so bright I would have had more even lighting. The upper center and to the right is the problem area.  Pre-flashing might have solved the high light problems but it would have made the middle values too dark.  I was only testing a new lens for my Koni-Omega camera and wasn't really thinking about the picture all that much but I discovered the childs grave with the teddy bears after developing the image and liked that so I worked on it some more but I'm tired of working with it for now.  Maybe someday I can figure out how to make a good print from the negative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics