Tuesday, May 26, 2009


Carnivorous Plants; Sarracenia hybrids of alata,flava, leucophylla, oreophylla, and Dionaea muscipula.
I removed the plants from the growers peat and sand mix, carefully washed off the root system then planted in damp New Zealand Spaghnum placing the pots in a tray about an inch deep that I keep filled with distilled water. I always repot any plant I buy because it gives me a chance to study the root system and determine the health of the plant. If there are more live fresh roots then soil in the pot the plant has done well, if there is more soil then roots then something is not to the plants liking. These plants had pretty undeveloped root systems but after a summer growing in this Spaghnum their roots will fill the pot and the plants will get huge. You can't have one without the other. It's a very Zen approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Statistics